Saturday, January 16, 2010

Day 5 - Mt Kilimanjaro


It is Sunday morning, 1/17/10, 6:39AM. Today Paulie will climb from Karanga Valley to Barafu Camp (elevation 15,091').

The climb will only take about 3.5 hours and the elevation change is +1,968'. The hike is 2.5 miles to Barafu Camp.

Paulie's route will be through rocky and barren terrain on his way up to Barafu Camp. The camp will be another cold and windy place, but he will only be sleeping there from about 7:00PM to 11:30PM BECAUSE at midnight (Monday AM), Paulie will begin the summit climb!

I have not heard a word or gotten a text from Paulie. I still text him everyday. So far I have sent him 26 texts and 2 voicemail messages. I am hoping he is at least getting my messages.

OMG, the cell phone I use just for Paulie just alerted me to a vm message....Darn, it was just my father-in-law, Jack. He is the only other person calling me on this phone....He is such a sweetheart and calls me everyday but I was hoping it was Paulie. The support Paulie and I are getting from his family is wonderful.

Today I did all the chores that Paulie usually does for me...laundry, grocery shopping, pet feeding, dog walking, house cleaning...and I even make my own coffee. Boy howdy I am spoiled and so very fortunate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Vikki,
You are a blessing to our family, Paul is lucky to have you.

Can't wait to hear from Paul when he returns, what a story he will get to tell!!

Gail (another of Paul's sisters)