Friday, January 15, 2010

Day 4 - Mt. Kilimanjaro

It is Saturday, about 10:00AM. This is the "easy" day for Paulie. He is allowed to sleep-in, wake-up at 7:30AM, breakfast at 8:00AM, and off by 9:00AM. Luxury!

Paulie is climbing from Barranco Camp to Karanga Valley. It will take about 3.5 hours. The elevation change is 328', about a 2.5 mile hike to the final elevation for the day. The Great Barranco Wall is 800' high so Paulie will be climbing over the wall and then down into the Karanga Valley, where the elevation is 13,000'.

I have not received a message from Paulie now since Day 2. I am sure he is still climbing. If he was not he would have already called me as they get sick climbers down the mountain right away. They put them in a wheel barrel and push them down the mountain!

I found some pictures online I think you will enjoy of Paulie's climb today. It looks scary. "Pole pole" (slowly, slowly).

1 comment:

Jodie said...

How exciting. It is awesome that we can follow his progress. I will be praying that Paulie has a great experience and safety every step of the way!!!