Friday, January 16, 2009

Woody Who?

I am delighted to finally get into this blogging thing, and as those who have followed the CFB blog with any regularity know, the blogging responsibilities are now shared amongst the 4 board members (Dee, Margaret, Guy, and I), and since I am actually tardy on my first turn, this is what we long time bloggers like to call a MUB (Make Up Blog).

I actually have a lot to say, but will spread my thoughts and feelings out over several entries in the comings weeks, and for this MUB will simply talk about what the sanctuary means to me.

If you would have told me that in 2009 I would be part of a team that was running an animal sanctuary, for senior and special needs animals no less, I would have told you that you were not all there. Please understand that I have always appreciated animals, and growing up my family had a small Lhasa Apso, Dolly, whom I loved, and friends had dogs and cats, and therefore I have been around animals, but I never had what one would call a passion for animals, and so I would have never suspected that the true purpose of my life would take this form. I think the safe bet would have been that I would have followed in my brother John’s footsteps, go to West Point, and be a career Army officer. But instead, I am here, along with Dee, Guy, Margaret, and 67 of our closest friends (i.e. 17 horses, 16 dogs, 12 fowl--6 chickens, 5 geese and Dave the Duck, 10 farm animals--4 goats, 3 pigs, 2 steers, and Bea the sheep, 10 bunnies, and 2 amazing cats), doing work that literally makes my heart and soul sing, and I am left in a state of complete gratitude, while at the same time being reminded that life really is a divine and wonderful mystery.

Pretty cool stuff.

So needless to say, I think A Chance For Bliss is truly hallowed and holy ground. This is my church, and everyday I get to go to mass and celebrate life in all its dazzling variety. In the nine years since Deanna and I began caring for animals, I have been privileged to witness broken hearted beings be completely re-born. I have seen anxious creatures remember what its like to trust. I have seen forgotten animals, in the later stages of their lives, suddenly remember what its like to play and act like young rascals again. I have seen pure thanks in the eyes of so many, even in their last moments when we have held them as they moved on to another place and time.

I love this place. I love what we do, and having found my calling, I move confidently forward in partnership with my beloved wife, a wonderful family, great friends, and feel like the richest man in the world for there is nothing else I need.

Thanks for checking in…
Woody

No comments: